Monday, June 21, 2010

"There is no place like home."

Growing up, my favorite movie was The Wizard of Oz. I would watch it over and over again, on repeat, singing and dancing, and following the “yellow brick road” with Dorothy and Toto. I loved that movie! I can relate to the adventures of Dorothy; a young lady, who left home, and went on an adventure. She made friends, made her way through strange beautiful places she had never been before, and found herself desperately longing to be home with the people she loves in her familiar place on the family farm that is “somewhere over the rainbow.” We both have a love for our dogs; although I didn’t get to bring Koda along for my adventure and we both can appreciate a great, spectacular red shiny heels! I often find myself in the company Dorothy did; the Lion, Tin Man, and Scarecrow. Actually, Brock reminds me of the Cowardly Lion. Big and tough, very sensitive, and caring but he isn’t cowardly at all. Brock is like the Lion, always ready to protect and fight off the monkeys! Oh, and when the Lion gets all dolled up with his curls in that red bow, that definitely reminds me of Brock!

This past weekend, sharing Father’s Day with my family (minus my sister, Christina, who we missed so much), made me appreciate the feeling of being home. There truly is no place like home. It is such a special time being a newlywed; enjoying the feeling of home that our families provide for us, but also being able to make a home for ourselves. I look forward to finding our first house, making it warm and cozy, and starting our very own “Smith” traditions there. So when I am feeling sad and far away, in an unfamiliar place, or consumed in a classroom project for my 2nd graders, or missing Brock when he is off coaching during football season… I can put on those great, spectacular red shiny slippers, and click my heels 3 times and say: “There is no place like home.”


1 comment:

  1. You're so creative and so cute! I love your stories :) Ms. B

    ReplyDelete