Monday, March 22, 2010

Spaghetti Sundays

Sundays are my favorite day here in Italy. Mostly, for what Sundays represent; God, family, & good food. Everything shuts down here in Milan & the hustle & bustle of the crowded Metro & busy streets all come to a halt. Sirens stop, cars are parked, & even the pigeons coo a little less. There is a calming silence on Sundays that I love so much.

Families come together & our apartment complex becomes filled with new faces as families reunite for the traditional Sunday dinner. This makes me think of my own family. My mother; who is 100% Italian, was raised in a home where Sunday spaghetti dinners were something that was cherished as a true tradition. Aunts & Uncles, with their children too, extended family members & friends all joined together for this weekly routine that wouldn't dare be missed. Even as a little girl, I grew up eating authentic Italian spaghetti sauce cooked and "doctored" by my Mom all day. She would sit and tell us about her Grandma and Grandpa (my Nani and Papi)who had taught her how to prepare their Italian dishes... mmmm "Buonissimo." This wasn't something I truly appreciated until I lived here in Milan.

For this, Brock & I have now decided to institute Spaghetti Sunday in our own future home. Doors will be open and everyone is welcome to join together in faith, family, friends, and of course...good food! It is the least we can do to carry on the Italian traditions of my family; something my Mom misses so much, and to honor the Italian hospitality we've experienced here in Milan.

“Good Appetite Everybody” – Grandpa Tony

3 comments:

  1. May I invite myself?
    :-)
    I can prepare bruschetta :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Lauren, sweet memories of grandpa....he would be so proud of you. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you can come Coach Joe. Bruschetta is your job!

    ReplyDelete