Sunday, March 7, 2010

Milano Rhinos VS Carinthian Black Lions


Why did we come here again? Oh yeah… football!

Last night was the Rhinos' very first game...and the very first time I have seen my husband play football in over 2 years. We triumphed over the Austrian team 26 - 20 in overtime. I don't know all of the important stats that football fans would like to know from the game (we will have Brock write a blog about the game with that important info or check out the team's site www.rhinos.it) but I do know Brock did very well. He ran the ball a lot, and with his size, he was unstoppable. In one play, "The QB sneak" he ran the ball over 60 yds. I watched the other Italians and the fans in the stands and thought; "They have no idea what my husband can do." Now since I am the wife... I will give you all the important details that go along with this game; obviously from the woman's perspective.

Before the game, I mustered up all of the "wifely" support and encouragement I could and I told Brock: "Well, tonight, we see if you still got it!" We looked at each other and both laughed. I have to admit, as I’m sure Brock was too, but I was really, I mean really, really, nervous! But this was the reason we were here in Italy; football; Brock's dream, his passion, his love. All of this didn't come full circle until I watched my husband run onto the field in his orange and black uniform. He looked good!

Our whole relationship started with football and well, it sort of ran our lives. Decisions were made based off of football. Sacrifices were made based off of football. Good times, bad times, and the times in between, all were based off of football. When I made the commitment to my husband in college to love and support him and maybe one day be his wife... I made a commitment to love football too and most importantly support his dream…..even if that meant moving to Italy.

Over the years I have learned to read my husband (once boyfriend and fiancé) on the field. Just by his body language I could tell if his teammates were where they needed to be and if a play went the way it should have. I gained a confidence in my husband too. Whenever we would be down, all I thought was "Get him in, get him in! He can make us win!" I knew Brock had what it took to turn the game around.

Last night I had all those feelings rush back. I watched as the players warmed up and I watched my husband carry on this attitude we have had this whole adventure… “Go with the flow.” (Now remember, everything about last night's game was in Italian!) Last night I realized again that Brock was a part of a team that half of the time he didn't understand what was being said. He stood there during the Italian National Anthem and I watched as he sort of figured out how they stood, what they did, and how it all got started. But as soon as they put in the offense...it didn't matter the language, Brock Smith was on the field and we weren't loosing. I just had that faith in him and in this team. I joke a lot with this win or lose thing. I don't like loosing...at all. I'm not a good loser either, neither is my husband. I knew he was going to fight for this game. After all that’s why we are here.





1 comment: