Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Price of Beauty... Pain!

The ultimate shoe lover, (me), has met her match! Now from previous blog posts, you may have gotten the severity of my shoe obsession. I just love them. All kinds, for all occasions; I wear them equally and utilize them to their full potential! Really I do. And for those of you who know me intimately... you are probably shaking your head and chuckling (slightly).

Before our trip, I packed one too many… 15 too many shoes. One’s first reaction may be; “But you’re going to the shoe capital of the world!” or “The more you pack, the less you can bring back!” Well… I have a confession to make… I brought too many! Way too many and to make it worse, I’ve only wore one pair… my ugly, worn out tennis shoes!

I don’t know how the fashionable, attractive, Italian women do it. Walking the streets of Milan, getting on and off Metro stops, and walking literally for blocks upon blocks, KILLED my feet my first day! But these women wear the most beautiful, very high, and oh so terribly painful high heeled boots! With my tennis shoes, I stick out like a sore thumb! Now it’s probably not just my tennis shoes that cause me to stick out like a sore thumb, I am secure enough to admit that it is mostly my unfashionable, very unstylish, American look about me.

We walked into a cute store one day,Zara, and after several stare downs and what I felt "mean looks", I looked at Brock; “Is everyone looking at me?” I was wearing American Eagle jeans that I had since high school that flared out at the bottom and were really comfortable; fashion no no number 1, skinny, straight legged jeans are in, with my ski jacket because it was the warmest thing I had and it was FREEZING out; fashion no no number 2, black and white, bulky ski jackets are never an option,and to top off my outfit with… drum roll please… my reliable, worn out, ugly, outdated tennis shoes; fashion no no number 3, walking shoes should never be walking into a clothing store! We left!

Today I broke under pressure and despite the pain I experienced last time, I wore my boots. Oh boy! Was this a mistake! We hadn’t even walked far, just down the block to the Metro Station and I was dying! They don't even have too high of a heel and my outfit was cute. I even noticed I didn’t have too many stare up, stare down, and stare back ups; with the expression: “you look like a slob!” We walked and explored different little towns and I was in pain! We walked for about 4 hours, in and out of shops and up and down different cobble stone alley ways! I fit in but by the time I reached my miserable limit (Woman you know what I’m talking about…that feeling where you just want to die if you have to take another step!) I wanted my ugly tennis shoes and I didn’t care about looking like a goober!

So now, I have a new perspective. The pain I felt walking around, sticking out and not fitting in and getting “those looks” wearing my comfortable, ugly, walking shoes, is a whole lot better than the pain I experienced of my toes cramping, feet aching, and ankles wobbling in pain! And just another thought; maybe they weren’t dirty looks at all, maybe it is the face the beautiful, stylish, high heeled boot wearing woman make when their feet are in pain. And maybe the stare up, stare down, stare back up is them looking at me in envy that I am wearing comfortable, ugly, tennis shoes without shame.

Oh the pain of beauty!

1 comment:

  1. Well, First I would like to give the credit to Lauren's Aunt Debbie for her shoe obsession. By the time Lauren was 1 years old she had 21 pairs of shoes....All gifts from Aunt Deb (the mother of boys)!!! Sorry Brock, it is something you will have to live with!

    ReplyDelete