Sunday, February 7, 2010

Craving Familiarity

Have you ever so badly wanted something that just felt so normal, so natural, so comfortable to you? Everyone can relate to that feeling. From missing family members and craving their appearance, their time, their conversation; to wanting so badly that food you’re just craving that you had that one place, that one time, or by that one person, that just tasted soooo good. (Boy, have we felt that way!) Or that feeling of needing that pillow; that one pillow that makes every night of sleep… so perfect and comfortable. So we all know that feeling…that feeling that that one thing makes you feel like, you and makes you feel at home.

There are times where I just crave what is familiar to me. Many times I just want my family; yes, I have Brock, but there is something about having your mom or dad, your siblings, to be here and comfort you. Remember, Brock and I are in the same boat, figuring things out, surviving together as a team, and experiencing the same emotions. Family brings about a whole new perspective, one that is familiar and comfortable. Family brings about a comfort that makes you feel like, “No matter the outcome, they’re here, so it’s okay.”

I’ve never craved the English language so badly. Yes! The convenience and comfort of being able to greet someone walking down the same path as you or being able to ask someone directions; that luxury of being able to just simply understand what is being said. Now, I’m a chatty Kathy, I’ve met no stranger, and I enjoy being able to smile and exchange a few words…not so much here! Brock and I were getting gelatos and we heard a man speak to his family in English, and our ears perked and our hearts began to race, and we CRAVED being able to just say something…anything, to this man that knew how to speak ENGLISH!

Walking the streets and having people just talk and talk in a language that is completely foreign to you can be overwhelming and needless to say…lonely. Or even better, the street sings, building names, labels on food and clothing…can’t understand a word. It is almost like experiencing Milan as a deaf or mute. I can’t really speak enough Italian to converse or have a meaningful conversation, and the signs are so foreign that I don’t know if I am traveling in the right direction, getting on the right tram or metro and getting off the right stop, or entering a building that I need or intended to go in.

I’m not complaining, we are thankful for this opportunity. Although it may be uncomfortable and scary, and unfamiliar and unpredictable, it has only been a week and we are truly thankful for the lives we have lived. The familiarity of family and friends, shopping for food at the grocery store and clothing at the mall, vehicles that allow us to get to where we need to go and altogether just easy transportation has truly and simply been easy/ comfortable living.

All of these feeling have made us more appreciative of what we are experiencing and truly thankful for the players we have here helping us feel like home and sincerely making us feel like family. It makes you consider the feelings of others when they visit our home, when they are far away from theirs and they are craving what is familiar to them.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren,

    I don't know you very well.. but your story sounds oh so familiar to mine, when Travis and I moved to the Dominican Republic. It can be very lonely and difficult, but you are going to learn so much and grow so close as a couple. This is an unforgetable time in your life, embrace it! I'm excited for you two! :)

    Be Blessed,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete