Monday, May 17, 2010

The Rhinos vs. The Elephants of Catania



What an adventure. Really and truly this game was more than just a match, it was a journey and an experience that I personally, will never forget, and I still laugh when I think about my time with the football boys. Let me start off setting up this blog explaining that for the past week I had a stomach virus and was deathly/violently ill for several days. This game was my first day outside of the house in 8 days! Now….off to Sicily.

Our morning started bright and early: 4am we woke up because our ride was picking us up at 5am to catch a 6am flight to Sicily. As the boys rolled in, some just returning from the club (no really, they just left the disco and made it to the airport) we all gathered around the Airport’s cafĂ© for a little breakfast before we boarded our flight. As we stood in line and watched the departure time change from 6am to 9:30am, there was a mixture of emotions from the team: some were upset because they could have had a few extra hours of sleep, some were angry because they could have squeezed in some more early morning partying, and the rest were nervous that we would be cutting it close for our 2 o’clock game.

We were finally off and in the air by 10:30am and the adventure had just begun. I sat next to Brock and thought; “Finally, we can close our eyes and you especially need to rest up for the game.” Ha! With these guys, I should have known better. As the flight attendants went through their safety instructions, I was crying with laughter as I watched the group of 40 big, manly, football players mock their movements. “Emergency exits are to the front, back, and sides of the plane,” the players’ hands went to the front, back, and sides with great emphasis and enthusiasm. “Seat belts go over your lap with a click and pull the straps,” the whole team showed the plane (and the other passengers) exactly how to do it with their hands in the air making the motions. They had the entire plane, flight attendants included, dying laughing.

We finally arrived and hurried to the field. The game didn’t start on time because the Ambulance was late (2nd time now I have seen this at the game).
*Brock’s part in the blog* Both of the teams were strong and it was a great match. Within the first few minutes of the game, the Catania Elephants scored to only be countered by us with a beautiful kickoff return that was ran into the end zone. Back and forth, back and forth; every time they scored we match them with a touchdown. We entered half time behind, by two touch downs. The Rhinos came out firing the second half and with a nice drive, the Rhinos made the score 28-21. Defense did a great job stopping Catania their first drive in the second half, but we could not capitalize because of the controversial pass interference that was not called on 4th down, ending our momentum to tie the game. The game ended with one more touchdown for each team ending the game 35-28.

*Back to Lauren*
This is where I should say: we made it back to Milan after a long day and a hard game and got straight to bed for a much needed goodnight’s rest……….. but we’re in Italy! There were two planes scheduled to get the team back to Milan. The first flight would leave literally right off the field and go straight to the airport and run on to the plane. They would then fly to Parma (3 hours away from Milan) and board a bus in Parma that would then go to the Linate Airport in Milan and then they would drive home from there. The second plane would enjoy a nice dinner in Sicily and leisurely make it back to the Airport for an 8pm flight straight to Milan. Sounds easy right? And Brock and I are on the second flight… until we were informed by the owner that the Airport messed up our flight and I (just ME) needed to leave NOW and get on the first plane! I tried to get my husband’s attention and let him know what was going on and I caught his eye just in time. We said our “goodbyes” and he gave the boys strict instructions to watch out for me. Everything went smoothly on my end; the boys did look after me; the only girl who was with the group, and the flight and bus ride was somewhat enjoyable and relaxing. It was hilarious travelling as the only girl and it was obvious the boys didn’t know what to expect. Like, me having to use the potty. Remember I was sick and I hadn’t been able to keep anything down in several days. During the bus ride we stopped for some food but before we got back on the bus I, the only girl, needed to make a little pit stop at the potty. One of the coaches waited outside for me and walked me back to the bus where I found the boys waiting. I was greeted by hoots and whistles and they cheered my arrival back from the bathroom… I was a little embarrassed.

To make a long night short, my original disappointment turned around real quick when I found out that the second flight home was delayed until 10pm; which meant I was curled up in bed when Brock finally returned home after 1:00am. In hindsight, I probably shouldn’t have gone as sick as I was. Our marathon day wore me out! Oh but those laughs!

The next morning; bright and early, we met my sister and her boyfriend Jake at the Cadorna Train Station and we have a whole fun, adventure packed week and a half ahead of us! First things first, for their initiation dinner and Brock’s post game meal; we went to our favorite Pizzeria. We are both so happy to have our family here and spend some time with them showing them around.



The Offensive Line reviewing during the delay.

The football players "interacting" during the flight attendant's safety instructions.

Traditional Pizzeria dinner after football! YAY Christina and Jake are here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment