Friday, May 7, 2010

"Oh Capri, She's Beauty..."


Day 3 of our big trip started off by walking to the Naples port to take a Ferry to Capri (as the locals say it: KAH' pree) bright and early. The walk from our hotel in Naples to the port was a little "sketchy." Like we've said before, we were warned about Naples, but walking in the early morning, on a Sunday, we thought it would be safe... Brock and I both felt very uncomfortable and we were on our guards!

Once we boarded the Ferry setting sail to Capri, the chilly ride was only about an hour. And once we arrived on the island of Capri we hit the ground "running"... or in my case, speed walking because I did not have proper foot attire. :]

Brock had done his research and he had so much planned for us to do! The first "sight" on our list was the Blue Grotto. We had to take the Funicular up to "Capri Town" and then take a bus to AnaCapri where we would then take another bus that took us to the grotto. This was a tourist attraction indeed, but from all of our research, from people's advice, and from Rick Steves' of course, it was well worth the money and travel time. We had to wait quite some time before it was our turn to board a small row boat, but once we were in the water, heading toward the small 3 foot opening of the Grotto, it was so worth it! The water was beyond crystal blue, it was an electric blue that lit up the whole cave. It was one of the coolest things Brock and I have ever seen. We kissed inside for good luck and made our way back to land after enjoying 5 minutes inside and paying 25 euros.

We were starving from starting our day early and not stopping for food! Since we have been in Southern Italy we have been enjoying eating the "new" cuisine. My family is from Southern Italy and there are some foods that I remember having growing up. When I arrived in Italy (Northern Italy), I mentioned these foods and NO ONE knew what I was talking about! When Brock and I choose the place we were going to have lunch, and I spotted on the menu Spaghetti Pie and Pizza Frit (which is fried pizza dough) I about cried! The rest of the day in Capri all I could think about was my Mom, Aunt Deb, Grandma, Grandpa Tony, and my Noni. This lunch alone truly made my experience in Capri the best moment ever!

We explored AnaCapri and we walked around the shops and beautiful hill top island. Rick Steve's suggested to take the chair lift up to the top of the town and hike back down. The views from the chair lift were beyond breath taking. As the chair lift lifted you higher and higher the water got bluer, the cliffs looked bigger, the seagulls were eye level, and the town of white villas got smaller and smaller. Once we were at the top I knew I didn't want to leave and I became uncertain about our plans to make the hike down since we were so far up. We took our pictures and started the hike since our time in Capri was so limited. It only took an hour but it could have gone a lot quicker if: I didn't wear sandals and we didn't keep stopping to take pictures.

The rest of our stay in Capri was very relaxing once we got our tourist attractions out of the way. We leisurely made our way down to Capri Town and explored some more. Brock had us venture out onto a very unbeaten path. Skeptically I followed; even though all of our travelling guides did not mention this area. We made our way through a public garden and followed a path that led us right about to the most beautiful view of the water and small villa neighborhoods that overlooked the cliffs and coast. We spent some time taking pictures and soaking up the sun and sadly made our way back to Capri Port to set sail to Sorrento for dinner.

With just enough time to do nothing before our Ferry departed, the port was right next to the beach. We went over and laid out and Brock took a little dip. We boarded the Ferry very satisfied and sun kissed from our day in Capri. We enjoyed a delish dinner in Sorrento and explored the high end town that reminded me some of Naples, Florida. Later that evening, after dinner we boarded our train back to Naples, Italy and went straight to bed because tomorrow in Rome was going to be an even bigger day.



Part of the island you see as soon as you arrive off the Ferry.


Inside the Blue Grotto


The view from the top of the island




I would like to apologize for not posting as many pictures/collages as I normally do. Our internet is very slow and at every attempt it fails to upload our large picture files. If you have facebook visit our page. I will continue trying to add the pictures from our previous days.

No comments:

Post a Comment